Saturday, November 30, 2013

Now Playing: Catching Fire


Last weekend, I caught the sequel to The Hunger Games movie (two of four, I believe): Catching Fire.  

Disclaimer: yes, I read the books beforehand and yes, I loved them. They were… well, you can read my thoughts on them elsewhere on this blog.  I try very hard not to compare them.  Try being the operative word here.

Six days after the fact, I find that two things that really stuck with me are completely superfluous: Katniss’ outfits and her awesome hairstyle.  Yes, yes, the acting (and indeed casting) were all very good.  I covered most of that when I saw the first movie.  I somehow found the movie a bit, well, slow.  Which is surprising, since what I remembered most about the book was just how quickly I devoured it.  So, I’m really looking forward to the next two movies, not so much because this one whet my appetite, but more so to get to the good stuff.

I give it 3.5 out of 5 stars.

So!  The outfits and hair! Okay, casting Lenny Kravitz as Cinna was a true stroke of genius because I totally believe that designed those badass yet beautiful outfits.  Everyone will ooh/ahh over the “wedding dress” but for me? The Girl on Fire chariot dress just blew me away.  Way to go, Costuming Department!  I also love how it’s her hair/clothes that recruits the first Katniss fans.  That scene with President Snow and his granddaughter?  Priceless.  I really want to make my hair braid like that when I next go travelling – it’s pretty and pragmatic.

(it seems I broke my 100-word rule already… sigh).

No comments: