Monday, January 31, 2011

Now Playing: 127 Hours

Okay, back to Oscars: clicking of the last movie that's in theatres, 127 Hours had me at James Franco.  Seriously, is there anything this guy can't do?

Anyway, back to the movie.  I'm a little leery of flicks that force the lead actor to act by him/herself for most of the film (I always think of Castaway) - the chances of things going really well or really badly are separated by the slimmest of margins.  Franco nailed it.  And clever Danny Boyle directed the film in a way that tricks viewers in thinking they're watching different characters, when really they're not.  that in itself is quite an accomplishment for both Boyle and Franco.  (I really loved the talk show hallucination).  I don't know if I can give this "Best Movie" but I think Franco has a real shot at Best Actor here, giving Jesse Eisenberg a run for his money; sadly, we all know what's going to happen "coughcolinfirthcough*

The movie was gripping, intense, gross and incredibly touching: 4.5 out of 5 stars.

No comments: