Sunday, August 28, 2011

Now Playing: Columbiana

We're hanging out and Jadek says "want to watch a movie" and I'm all "yeah sure, what's out" and he goes "I dunno, nothing I can think of" so we Google it and he's like "what about Columbiana" and I'm like "yeah, I remember that - Luc Besson I think - I like him."

And that's how we came to watch Columbiana on a Saturday afternoon.  Zoe Saldana, Cliff Curtis, and Jordi MollĂ  put in their lines and put their bodies through the paces.  Honestly, for a revenge flick, this wasn't too bad at all.  Saldana really pulled off an amazing catsuit for the first hit of the movie, which was choreographed beautifully.  If they had been going for an Eartha Kitt vibe, Saldana would have made an excellent Catwoman.

The story is much of what I've come to expect from Besson, though I would have preferred his directing to Megaton's style.  The action was great - inventive and quick.  The opening running sequence with Amandla Stenberg's amazing abilities was reminiscent of Run, Lola, Run (one of my faves) and put her on a list of future action stars (along with Chloe Grace Moretz and Saoirse Ronan).

Unexpectedly fun: 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments: