Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Now Playing: Cowboys and Aliens

(Sorry for the weird upload - I needed a placeholder and it decided to just hold the first sentence!  Technology continues to confound me.)

So, when I first saw the trailer for Cowboys and Aliens, I thought: "WTF?"  Then I thought about the last time Indy hooked up with a Bond-James-Bond and decided to hold my reservations.  Besides, the trailer looked pretty good - funny and action-y.

Then I watched C&A.  This movie isn't really funny.  Like, at all.  There's abduction, body mutilations and violations, death, horror... very little comedy (though, I did chuckle a couple of time, I felt guilty doing it).  This is a perfect synthesis of Spaghetti Western (with all its over-the-top, anti-hero characters) and Sci-Fi (though not as creepy as the Alien series, a definite contender in the Independence Day realm).  Weird thing is, I totally bought it.  I totally believed that aliens showed up to harvest humans and gold.  Maybe I'm getting a little too good at this suspension of disbelief thing.  3.5 out 5 stars.

No comments: