Tuesday, December 18, 2007

nothing comes of nothing

Damn, broke my own goal of writing everyday. Even if nothing happened. And in truth, nothing did happen. Yesterday or today. So, now I have to type about two full days of nothingness.

I went for a job interview this morning. I don’t think I did very well. It seems the minute I walked out, all my brilliant answers came back to me. Not helping is the fact that I have been suffering from hyper-spoonerism, so a lot of answers came out sounding really dumb (i.e. “I think mole-rodeling is a really important part of being in a leadership position”). It was also for a position in a location I had never visited, so answering any merchandising and demographic questions was a lesson in bullshitting 101. Since the interview itself was rescheduled at the last minute from tomorrow at 1pm to this morning at 11am, I really had no chance for reconnaissance. In strange twist of coincidence, I am typing this at the very location I have never had a chance to visit as I was called upon to provide relief staffing. Would have helped to know the layout of this place, which is tiny in comparison to my home location.

More exciting than this was the chance to wear a full suit to work. Sadly, a public librarian is rarely given the opportunity to dress like a professional - it’s a business casual world and my uniform generally consists of whatever’s clean and mostly wrinkle-free. And always sneakers (I have a pair of dress sneakers for work alone). But not today – today, there was a black-and-white pinstripe suit and dress shoes (complete with heel!). I felt about 10 years older… and the minute I was back at my desk, I put my sneakers back on. Hey, I only felt 10 years older; I didn’t actually mature at all.

No comments: