Monday, December 31, 2007

A Year in Review

I began 2007 at home, geeking out on Board Games (yes, that's right - Board Games), Wii and Wine. It was good times. This was also the first full year in which I did not attend an academic institution of some sort; as a result, I feel stupider. I worked at the library full-time, all year, in 3 different locales (Sciences, Children's and Courtneypark).

But the year was eventful in non-work ways:
- I went on several vacations and weekenders: visiting my cousins (and their not-so-new baby) in Virginia, 4 plays in Stratford, Joan in NOTL, the day reminsicing in Kingston, flying to San Francisco, driving down to San Luis Obispo and then back up to Big Sur via the famous Hwy 1.
- I attended many a performance: TSO, Evil Dead, Othello, King Lear, Merchant of Venice, Ideal husband, Chopin & Friends, Nuit-crappitty-Blanche, Philip Pullman's Particles of Narrative, ROM Ramses lecture, Saint Joan... gosh.
- Watched a LOT of movies, but that's normal. read a LOT of books (thank you Book Club!).

This also the year of the big purchases. In anticipation of the Condo-that-never-completes, I bought a KitchenAid mixer, my very first grownup Queen-sized bed, and about $5500 in marble and wood flooring. I would trade all this in to actually be IN my condo.

Favourite moments include:
- walking out of Othello, drunk on Shakespeare and having him on my arm,
- sitting on a beach in California, watching the sun set, flanked by Leanne and Nish,
- staring in horror at the Hell Mouth that appeared on Queen's campus, confirming all our not-so-secret suspicions that we really DID deal with demons for 4 years,
- playing (and winning) Knights of Catan. twice. retired undefeated champion.
- the entire 30 days spanning September 14 to Oct 14 (Stratford, Kingston, Nuit Blanche, Word on the Street, California).
- 4th-floor lunches with DK.
- discovering Imogen Heap (thanks Bro), Yuja Wang (thanks TSO) and Burial (thanks Mishu).
- dancing @ Zen on DJ Dwight's bday with my girls.
- closing down the restaurant with Elle.
- realising that being quirky and alone makes me quirkyalone, and thus... happy.

Wrapping up 2007, I will be home, again. There will be no games, just me and Nish in PJs. Hopefully, shrimp rings. Here's wishing you and yours all the best :)

No comments: