Tuesday, December 25, 2007

on concussions...

Coming back from JC's house on Sunday night (Monday morning), I slipped on a patch of ice and went for a sixer. Or, as North Americans would say, fell on my ass. Much embarrassment aside, felt fine. My left index finger hurt a bit, but that was about it. Fast forward 9 hours later: I woke up and felt funny. Not exactly sick, but disoriented and slow. While taking a shower, I actually had to sit down a couple of times. I thought: "oh no, not the flu, not again." While drying my hair, I had my very first encounter of vertigo - that was really trippy. I lay down to feel better - I didn't wake up until 4 hours later. That's when I really felt like crap. There I was, Christmas eve, and not able to stand for more than 5 minutes at time. Sometime during my third sleep of the day, the rest of the family made dinner, ate it and went to church. I woke up around 1am, just in time to see them come home. We opened gifts and I went back to bed.

This morning, my mom asked if I hit my head when I fell... and I can honestly say I have no idea. Upon looking up the symptoms for a concussion, though, I am a little worried:
Headache - check
Dizziness - check
Feeling dazed - check
Ringing in the ears - check
Sleepiness - big check
Feeling "slow" - (this is normal, but) check
Nausea - check
Poor coordination or balance - (also normal for me, however) check
Vomiting - check
Slurred speech - check
Slow to answer questions or follow directions - check
Easily distracted, poor concentration - (again, normal, but) check

...is there a cure for concussions? Because, I'll tell you, I feel like absolute crap. Now, back to sleep.

No comments: