Monday, July 28, 2008

Now Playing: X-Files: I Want To Believe

Mulder and Scully are back! Thank God, they don't have Reyes and Doggett with them.

So, okay, X-Files: I Want To Believe had almost no hype (and whatever little it may have garnered was quickly overshadowed by a certain Bat). I didn't why they made a movie or what the the general plot line would be. I did know that David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson were back (woohoo!) and that Billy Connolly was in there somewhere. Being a once-die-hard X-Phile, I had to go see this.

Was it worth it? Meh. It was like a really good standalone episode (though Home is still the best). The plot was decent, the acting on par with what I wanted (I love how Anderson's Scully never cries but is still teary... fab). And a cameo appearance by Mitch Pileggi topped it off nicely.

My favourite part though? *spoiler* Mulder and Scully, despite being lovers/common-law spouses/whatever, still call each other "Mulder" and "Scully" - it was weird to hear someone else refer to Mulder as "Fox". Second favourite part? Mark Snow's score - he's always wonderful. Least favourite part? The major plot holes and leaps in understanding (what happened to William? do M&S live together? why does Scully work in a Catholic hospital? Why was Father Joe's room-mate so creepy?) Good for nostalgia, but wait for the DVD. 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments: