Sunday, October 16, 2011

Fool by Christopher Moore

I read Fool in record time - just under 2 days!  I won't make it a long review, as my feelings for Christopher Moore are widely known.  Suffice it to say that if you're looking for a faithful rewriting of Shakespeare's King Lear, look elsewhere.  If you're looking for a serious post-modern retelling, look elsewhere.  Hell, if you're hoping that these intense characters will not be fucked with sideways and left bewildered by the shagging, that the historical context will be coherent or that even the story begins and ends the same... well, don't pick up this book.  This is a complete departure from the original play, with heroes becoming villains, extra characters appearing, entire plotlines added and best/worst of all, a copious amount of cursing.  This is an absolute romp!  I giggled and winced and wholeheartedly enjoyed myself through it all.  The word "irreverent" doesn't even begin to cover it.

No comments: