Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Now Playing: Ides of March

In order to avoid being stuck at home with a bunch of drunk old people, LilBro, Jadek and I took shelter at a local movie theatre and watched The Ides of March.   I didn't really know what the expect from this movie, since I had only watched one trailer.  But, given my newly buried hatchet with Mr. Clooney and the alternative of group singing "Take the Ribbon from your Hair", I thought "what the heck!"



Must say, I was pleasantly surprised.  In a theatre full of remakes and book adaptations, this was an original script with some excellent acting.   Ryan Gosling - can he do any wrong? - killed it; Paul Giamatti was a scene-stealer; and Evan Rachel Wood .. where did she come from?  It was a lot of fun.

Here's why it doesn't rank higher than the 3 out of 5 stars I'm going to give it.  I didn't learn anything from any of it.

/Spoilers!

Yes, politicians are scum and will always fuck the intern; yes, idealism has no place in the real world; yes, friends will screw over lifelong friends in order to have the chance to get ahead.  Yes, yes, yes.  Cynicism wins the day.  Whoopee!  It didn't even have a plot twist and ended really abruptly. 

/end Spoilers!

I have no doubt that there will acting, directing and even scripting nods for Ides.  I just don't know if, as a whole, the movie is anything more than average.

No comments: