Sunday, October 09, 2011

Now Playing: 50/50

Normally I don’t watch comedies in theatres, especially if they star Seth Rogen.  I think comedies are natural rentals.  I do make the occasional exception, however, and anything with the fantastic JGL certainly warrants that.  Enter, 50/50 – a story about a young man who gets diagnosed with cancer and how he deals with it.  Potentially very depressing stuff.  It’s a real credit to the scriptwriters and the acting team that they deal with the anger, horror and incredible unfairness of it all while still maintaining a realistic humour.  Anna Kendrick is the quiet scene-stealer as is Bryce Dallas Howard who plays reprehensible with great panache.  JGL is his usual thumbs-up and Rogen is his usual crazy.  But you know who got me? Angelica Huston.  We need more of her in movies.

I think it’s still a good rental movie but also feel good about supporting it in theatres.  4 out of 5 stars.

No comments: