Monday, February 18, 2008

family day long weekend

What an eventful weekend this turned out to be!

Friday, I finished Late Nights on Air by Elisabeth Hay (the 2007 Giller winner). It was a little slow to get started but once it did - whoa! A great read, set in a most unlikely place (Yukon Territories) with an unlikely cast (radio station personnel). Well-paced and well-written, each character actually has an individual voice: so, even though the third-person perspective switches constantly between characters, there's never any doubt who's speaking. The descriptions of the scenery are excellent. At first, I wished I had saved it for the hot summer months; but reading about glaciers and icicles and endless months of snow and dark... it really hits home in February. Though there were some slow parts, the overall mystery pulls you forward and compels you to turn the page. A good addition to the Giller shelf.

...After finishing up the book, I headed over to Nish's place to finalise some details about our upcoming cross-Canada adventure. Stayed out way too late.

Saturday: Alli came by to pick me up and we headed to Bowmanville for The Dressening. In an exercise of patience and non-anality that's rare, H2 actually put off our Dress-buying until six months before the event. My dress is a two-piecer which I specifically picked so I can wear the top on its own for going out; also, thinking of dyeing the skirt black afterwards so it can just be a very pretty skirt that goes with anything. It was relatively painless, as I already had an idea what I wanted to wear; my general impatience with trying on clothes could only help. The rest of the day was spent confabulating with my fellow maids at haunted pub and then chilling at H2's place getting addicted to Veronica Mars, getting fat on Dip and getting to know my only favorite cat, Chloe. (Can I just say that this cat is the most maligned creature ever! She is sweet and entirely cat-like. Yes, she breaks things; yes, she likes to jump on to places she doesn't belong... what cat doesn't?! Unlike the entirely boring Xander, Chloe is all too much fun. I've never actually liked a cat in my life; I'm in kitty-love). It was good to catch up with my favourite Kingston-survivor. She lives too far away for me; I have already started the Mississauga recruitment campaign.
(oh yes, I forgot about this: yet another reason why I NEED to MOVE NOW! My dad calls me when we're about to take the Bowmanvills exit to ask how far away I am - I say far. He says well, I need to come home because my car is parked behind his and he needs to go out. Some background: he lost his keys in an entirely doofus move early last week; he borrowed my keys to make copies; he neglects to make a copy of my car key...somehow all of this is my fault. Anyway, I basically tell him to take a cab or the GO train and his actual response was: "that doesn't make any sense." But me asking Alli to turn the car around, drive all the way back to Mississauga only to come back to Bowmanville just to switch cars does?! I tell him to jump the curb and hang up. I. Need. To. Move. )

Sunday brought me home (thanks Alli!) safe and sound. Senator has invited Book Club over to watch Becoming Jane and The Jane Austen Book Club. I despise VicLit, but I like Book Club so I went to be social. Good thing, too, since the 'rentals had an impromptu party and I so didn't need that hassle. Nish, AnCe, Kev and myself show up at Senator's (awesome) townhouse and proceed to have a great time. Yes we watched both films, but we also chatted until 2am. I like these people a lot. We're not super-close, but we see each other often enough to care about each other's lives and keep each other posted on big and small events alike. It's really nice to hear such different perspectives on things from people who aren't overly involved. It's way better than Poker Night, because I feel like we have this common ground in books (and therefore intelligence) that's often missing in some of my flakier "friends". Frankly, I'd rather hang with these guys than the flakes any day, despite knowing the flakes for so so much longer.

This brings us to Monday: I'm hoping I won't have to change out of my PJs all day and I'll catch up on The Wire, finally finish up Deadwood and maybe get a disc on Veronica in. Also: we book plane/train/ferry tickets today. Exciting! I wish we had more long weekends.

No comments: