Friday, February 22, 2008

on turning 22

well, well, well.
Today, LilBro turns the big Two-Two. That's right: no more righteous birthdays of celebrations (16 = yes, I can drive!; 18 = yes, I'm an adult!; 19 = yes, I can drink!; 21 = yes, I can drink in England!)... now it's all "quarter-life crisis" "late twenties" ... 'THIRTY!" But let's not dwell on those things! Today, we party. Hard. Neither fire, famine nor death shall stand in our way (nor pestilence apparently).

On this day, let us take a moment to reflect.

I remember the day he came home, all red and squirming. I had lost a bet with my cousin Joey (I had banked on a sister I could have played dress-up with), so I was pretty unimpressed by this wrinkled mass of not-so-cute baby. I believe I inquired about a return policy. Something to the effect of "when do we take him back?" He filled out nicely, though - like a butterball turkey, you couldn't get him to sit up without him rolling over. Literally. We didn't get along famously, but he wasn't horrible. I stopped asking about trading him in for a girl.

We've had our ups and downs. Mostly downs. Let's face it - sharing a room with your younger brother until you're fifteen is not the way to bond, but rather a way to perfect all those plans you have of either running away or killing him. Fact: I was a terrible older sister. I instituted the five-metre/seat rule (if in public, makes sure you walk at least five metres or sit five seats away from me). I told him he'd have to stick up for himself if he got bullied. I kept a list of bad things with which I frequently blackmailed him (it was such a stupid list, but man, did it work).

Things got much much much better after I moved away for university. He was tolerable in small doses. Indeed, my entire family dynamic changed after I left: less fighting, no more stupid rules. I realised it wasn't LilBro I hated - no, it was actually my parents and I was simply transferring all that resentment onto him. Now, I like kickin' it with him - even if we are just watching wrestling and eating popcorn. And yes, he can still be annoying, but we are siblings. More ups than downs these days.

So! Here's to you, Jembalilly! Tonight, we drink, party and toast in your new year. And if you puke in my car, I'll kill you. After you clean it up, of course.

No comments: