Monday, February 11, 2008

hey baby, can I get your Dewey number?

It had to happen, right?

Picture it: Central Library, 6pm.
A patron (young-ish - maybe 23; average everything) comes up to me and says "I've reserved this computer and my monitor won't get out of standby; can you help me?"
me: sure, let me see what I can do. have you tried rebooting it?
pat: uh, no. well, I tried, but it wasn't working.
me: I'll try, but it probably won't work eitehr; I'll make you a temporary login if it doesn't.
pat: okay.
...He sits down at his computer; I reset the comp using the main power switch in the back. It begins booting up just fine, nothing wrong with the monitor.
pat: are those both school rings? (he points to my hands)
me: yep
pat: I've never seen a plain one like that
me: that's my Queen's one
pat: oh, yeah, Queen's. That's a good school, right?
me: that's what we tell people.
pat: you moved here after graduating?
me: I moved back, yeah.
(slow computer finally starts loading windows)
pat: have you been working here long?
me: a couple of years; had to get my master's first
pat: master's? in what?
me: library sciences, of course :)
pat: what do you learn to do?
me: see the numbers on the books? Someone has to decide what they are. but mostly, not much. I learned to reboot computers on the job. okay, that's the login screen go ahead and log in. (he does so, everything's working) great; if you need anything else, just come to the desk.
...five minutes later...
pat: oh hey, thanks for fixing that problem.
me: no worries; that's what they pay me to do.
pat: maybe I could call you sometime, you know, uh, if I need any more assistance.
(at this point, my colleague lets out a most indelicate snort, which I try to ignore so as to save this guy some embarrassment)
me: well, anyone who staffs this desk can help you at anytime
pat: right, well, maybe I could thank you by taking you out for a coffee or something after work.
me: umm, really, it's okay. that's what we're here for.
pat: oh. okay, well, let me know if you change your mind.

...he's still sitting at his station as I type this. Why didn't I say yes?

2 comments:

LH said...

Holy Crap...why didn't you? where was I? I've never been hit on in the library (isn't this your second time??? from what I remember, there was also a time in the religion section...right?) Happy crappy V-Day!

Malecasta said...

oh yeah - haha - I forgot about the religion section :) *sigh* 292s will never look the same.
Yeah, I have no idea what my issue is. Kev says he'll be back, since he's a user and libraries provide a free book fix. He was pretty cute. I'm prety dumb. dammit.