Saturday, June 07, 2008

teaching an old dragon new tricks

So here's the latest venture into the nerdery: World of Warcraft: trading card game. It's not enough to spend my Saturday nights playing video games or German board games or even the MMO. No, if you're going to geek, geek right or don't geek at all.

When first asked to play, I had thought to myself "oh no, this is like Magic or Warhammer" (neither of which I picked up very quickly, establishing an inverse correlation to how fast I dropped both). It's not so much that I didn't like those games; it's just that, much like Axis and Allies, the concept seems better than the reality. Also, I hate losing and I hate feeling dumb - two things that happen whenever I try to understand the mechanics of these games. JC has solved this problem by asking me to be a raid boss instead of participating in the actual raid. This means a number of things: 1) I don't have to worry that my ineptitude killed one of my allies; 2) I am ridiculously over-powered, so I won't die too quickly; 3) there's no embarrassment in dying because I'm supposed to die - I'm the bad guy. Perfect!

Last night, I played Onyxia and Molten Core. Onyxia, no problemo - killed three of them by stage two. Molten Core - oh dear... they got all the way to Boss 8 (of 10) before I finally wiped the group of four. What will happen when there's actually five of them? 5 more experienced players than the ones I played against last night? I don't think I can distract them enough with my snarky comments and dragon jewelery and the (new) boys are interested in a raiding in two weeks.

I've officially gone over to Dork Side.

No comments: