Sunday, January 13, 2008

Golden Globes? none for me, thanks.

Quest Failed. *insert disappointed oboe sounds*

Having watched 6/7 GG Best Picture nominees, I patiently waited for the 7th (and my most anticipated) to arrive in Mississauga. There Will Be Blood, with Daniel Day-Lewis seeming to do his menacing best in trailers, was first advertised as coming out on Boxing Day; boy, was I let down when it failed to materialise. Followed closely by missing out on the sneak preview (thanks to the call that never came) and then yet another heartbreak when it didn't show up a week later on Jan 4, I was so ready to finally watch it when it broke into theatres for wide release on Jan 11. Well, Jan 11 came and went and still there was no Blood. The GG's are "airing" tonight, but where will I be? I'll be in Etobicoke, watching Blood in the closest theatre playing it, the next city over.

Watch this space for post-GG commentary (and bickering) and Oscar predictions when they announce their lists on Jan 22. In the meantime, I shall try to not be bitter that theatres in the 5th-largest city in Canada can't be bothered to pick up award-calibre movies but instead glut their screens with offerings that leave much to be desired.

No comments: