Saturday, January 12, 2008

Infidel, by Ayaan Hirsi Ali (and other comments)

I won't type much about Infidel except to say that it is fascinating. Hirsi Ali's style is direct and uncluttered; she hardly ever uses adjectives to describe how something is said (as if to say that it is enough that it was said at all). Her life amazes me - that she has accomplished so much in only 35 years. This is not an easy read. There is violence, sadness and horror; but, there is also kindness, generosity and love.

Being a Catholic who grew up in an Islamic state, I cannot help but feel torn about my reaction to the book. On one hand, I want to cheer for her courage and join her in denouncing any political system that fuses religion with government (Sh'aria law is such a scary oxymoron to me that the very mention of haram gives me shivers). Listening to her personal accounts of women who have excised, raped, and/or murdered makes me angry and frustrated. I am almost tempted to just say "keep it there; don't bring your destructive traditions here."
And then... and then I think who the hell am I to judge? I'm not Muslim. In Canada (like in Hirsi Ali's Holland), we embrace the multicultural mosiac and encourage people to share their traditions in an attempt to promote understanding, tolerance and peace. Like all other religions, Islam is based on peace and brotherhood. Ought we not allow all people - regardless of their faith - to practice their beliefs? Isn't even questioning this right the beginning of bigotry?

I'm not overly religious myself. I have a very contentious relationship with my Catholic roots - I believe that there are probably beings out there so beyond our comprehension and abilities that, if we were to encounter them, they would be as Gods to us. I do not believe in the Church or any of its man-made rules. I believe there is evil in the world that tempts us into doing evil things (I need look no further than Karla Homolka and Mohammed Parvez), but I do not believe in Satan. I enjoy singing hyms in church; I can appreciate how the Notredame can inspire one to believe in God. But all these pretty things are merely that - pretty things. I've long ago given up on finding any substance.

There are many powerful things to be found within the pages of Infidel, things that I'm sure would make many people angry. Elle had already cautioned me to put it down, but I could not (and would not). The one thing that strikes me is this: when one places all of one's morality outside one's self and upon religion, one loses her sense of right and wrong in favour of a sense of crime and punishment. Yes, all religions preach peace; but none seem to preach tolerance. I think it's ridiculous when any religious leader - regardless of faith - says that their religion does not condone violence. The IRA, Darfur and the Palestinian-Israeli conflict all use religion as an excuse for violence, citing scripture after scripture that permits it. (Let's not even get into the Crusades and the Inquisition). Most holy books contradict themselves and allow for anyone - from extremist to liberal - to interpret them to his/her benefit.

...and I say all this knowing that there exist many more eloquent arguments that would shred my comments to pieces. But this is neither debate club nor philosophy class, so I shall leave my thoughts in their original raw form.

What's left to be said? The book is still fascinating: not only is it an on-the-ground account of civil war, African politics and refugee processes, it is a gripping story that both bolsters and rends my faith in humanity.

No comments: