Friday, January 11, 2008

keep on rockin' in the free world

oh, what a glorious return to home it was.

As I'm hanging up my jacket, LilBro turns to me and starts laughing. Maniacally. Like he'd just thrown the switch on his very own monster-making-machine. As there was a serious lack of Frankenstein's Creature in the house, I just merely looked at him quizzically. This only prompted him to laugh louder. So I had to ask: "what?" More laughter - insanely happy, gleefully jubilant laughter. At this point, I too am smiling (the same smile strangers give crazy people on subways who start singing Frere Jacques) and I ask more forcefully "what?!" His gaze drifts meaningfully to the family room... I follow it... and there it is. I, too, begin laughing. There we are, standing in the front foyer, cackling like Kang and Kodos about to incinerate Earth. And what, pray tell, has us loosening our grip on our lucidity?

Rock Band.

Oh, yes, a glorious return indeed. I hadn't changed out of my work clothes so quickly in my life. I knew I'd be sucked in, but not like this... not like this. After creating characters (featuring malecasta on vocals and Bullfrog on lead) we were off. It was great: our band hails from Seattle (of course) and we were doing well. I started on Easy, because I didn't really know what to expect - LilBro was unimpressed by this and made me go up to Medium after about 5 songs. I didn't really notice a change in the difficulty level, but we were getting double the XP. The singing is pretty intuitive - and because I did not read the instructions (what? I was excited!) I had no idea how to activate the overdrive (aka star power for Guitar Hero fans) or how to coordinate this with my band mates. Still, 4 hours later, we had earned a manager, a jet and roadies. We had visited LA, New York, Chicago and become legends in Seattle. And we bought clothes: malecasta is decidedly goth in her look (right down to a tiny spider tattoo under her right eye), so shopping is a lot of fun - buying a $3500 top is just a part of the rock-n-roll lifestyle, right? The game is very easy to pick up, even for console non-gamers like myself. it's a lot of fun - I don't think I've hung out with just my sibling for these many hours without fighting before. And we were cooperating. Scary.

A couple of drawbacks: Bullfrog is the band leader, which means, our band cannot play without him (and I don't know why); I can be short in-game, but I cannot be..*ahem* .. "chubby"; the face customisation leaves a LOT to be desired.
All in all, though, an extremely fun game that has lured me back to the console.

Can't wait to go home and play again. Tonight 3289 conquers Tokyo.

No comments: