Thursday, May 29, 2008

GCA: Y-Chrominess

Y-Chrominess. That's the technical term for extremely good-looking, non-psychotic, nice boys. Chattable boys. Ogleable (also a technical term) boys. And quite a few men with the same qualities. Nish and I had no other word to describe the wonderfully beautiful specimens of the male species we found almost as soon as we left the GTA. In a delicious turn of events, it also seemed that there was an inverse correlation to the amount of Y-Chrominess in a certain place when compared with the Double-Xers. I am an equal opportunity appreciator of human beauty - I think women are actually much more aesthetically pleasing than men, in general. But let me tell you - where the wild beautiful men are, the wild beautiful women seem scarce. There was often a mean thought that strayed through my mind, along the lines of "who mated with you?" (because there were children, you see, many children that were the result of intensely attractive men and markedly unattractive women).

I will acknowledge that I, myself, am no paragon human beauty - god, far from. I feel that this gives me a real idea of what exactly it means to be pretty - and these women weren't. Sorry ladies, but it does seem that all the yummy mommies live within a large city and nowhere near boonieland.

But, I digress.

There were barely legal lads who had fabulous senses of humour and still a sheen of newness about them; there were our contemporaries who made four hours in Sioux Lookout seem like a walk in the park; there fleeting encounters with uniformed men at 2am; there were soulful reading men (is that Vassanji I see you clutching as you leap off to teach the underprivileged in Savant Lake?); there were senior citizens who exercised the kind of gallantry ("who will take care of these girls? it is 1am in a city they do not know!") that I had thought dead with the dawn of equal rights; there were hoteliers who made sure we didn't get more action than we were looking for.

And then. And then there is the Gypsy. The ten-pointer who had so much going for him, I thought it was too good to be true. Good with kids? check. Are those kids his? no? check! responsible family-oriented male? check. a Habs fan!? check! likes fas and spood? builds houses for poor people in Latin American countries? makes a good cup of tea? check, check, check. French-Canadian, has cute accent, possesses excuse to visit my hometown? check, check, check. ...Sat and talked to me for almost two hours and shared book for travels? paint me smitten! Can you believe I wasn't going to leave my email addie? Can you believe he was actually excited when Nish handed it over? Can you believe that all this could happen in a place where no roads go? Pink posies got nothing on this guy who stole my heart with an apple fritter and a lemon tea.

I am an official resident of GiddyCrushVille. Enjoy it, dear readers; it happens so rarely.

2 comments:

Madox23 said...

Well well well, welcome to CrushVille! Although I've only been here for a couple of weeks, it's been really nice. Enjoy!

Malecasta said...

I'm such an infrequent visitor, every time I show up, it's like I've never been here before.