Monday, May 19, 2008

We Are Not Amused

In honour of Victoria Day I thought I would use the famous quote “We Are Not Amused” attributed to my favourite royal, Queen Victoria, as inspiration for my last guest blog posting. It’s fitting somehow that as I type this that fireworks are erupting outside my window.

Ok first up a personal we are not amused that I must get off my chest and an update on the whole Crown Royal issue. So after a week of nothingness I decided to email him a light and breezy how are you/do you want to hang out email because I was getting inpatient and a bit concerned – I mean it’s a bit odd that a facebook status addict hasn’t done any updates or walled anybody in over a week. It’s also a bit odd that he hasn’t contacted me once after being in contact everyday for 3 weeks. As of this posting I still haven’t heard from him but good news he’s alive … he updated his status today. So now I’m miffed and totally not amused. My friends keep telling me not to sweat it and give him a few more days and to give him the benefit of the doubt and normally, being an optimist and hopeless romantic, I would, but I’m finding it difficult to do this – I’m frankly blaming this new jadedness on Northern Lights. Arrrggg … dating can be soo frustrating!!! I just want a good, sane, honest guy for once; is that too much to ask for? Me thinks not. Talking about men; Queen Victoria found herself a good one. Though I shouldn’t be too envious since Prince Albert died relatively young (especially compared to Victoria who died at the age of 88) at the age of 42.

Queen Victoria’s Lasting Impact

For some reason I’ve always had a fondness for Queen Victoria and always found her to be a gutsy, admirable and intriguing woman. I think my fondness for her goes back to when I first saw the Shirley Temple movie The Little Princess in which Queen Victoria helps Shirley’s character find her wounded father.

Victoria (yeah, we’re on a first name basis) became queen at the age 18 (at 18 I was graduating high school and couldn’t make up my mind as to which University to go to) and ruled for 64 years. She was a woman who didn’t believe in feminism/advancing woman’s rights but yet proposed to her husband since she was a monarch and above him in status. She helped abolish slavery in England, ushered in the trend of brides wearing white on their wedding day and via Albert she introduced the Christmas tree to England and its colonies. All in all a pretty neat lady. Another pretty neat lady, a personal fav, although fictional, is Marilla Cuthbert who at the onset of Anne of Green Gables is often not amused by Anne’s chattiness and scope of imagination.

A Kindred Spirit – Anne with an E

Anne of Green Gables, was my absolute favourite book growing up, and it remains my all time favourite book. It is the book I turn to when I’m sick or just having a blah day and need a pick me up. I was first introduced to it in grade four when I received the series as a Christmas gift. By the time I returned to school I had gobbled up the entire series and talked about Anne so much my mother swore she had a second daughter. In honour of the 100th anniversary of its publication my book club chose Anne as this month’s pick. Although, I’ve read Anne at least 10 times it’s been awhile since I read it cover to cover and I was a bit hesitant to read it again; would it stand up? I’m happy to report that yes it did and I fell in love with this book all over again to the point that I will be rereading the entire series. I’m looking forward to hearing what the rest of book club, some of them being first time readers of Anne, have to say about the book.

And that’s it for me. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my guest blogging experience. I’ve enjoyed it so much that I decided to start my own blog. Check it out at http://kayleemusings.blogspot.com/. There’s nothing posted on it as of yet, but I promise to get started on it within the week’s end.

Thanks DissolvedGirl for the opportunity and welcome home! Can’t wait to read more about your Western Tour.

No comments: