Thursday, May 15, 2008

GCA: to the edge of the world and back

aaaaand we're back in Jasper.

After a crazy three-ferry, two-train detour to Prince Rupert and the Queen Charlotte Islands, we find ourselves back in my favourite city, JASPER (Just Another Small Place Earning Revenue). I know people seem to love the west coast - I would kill myself if I had to live in that drizzly weather 80% of the year. We crossed into Alberta and suddenly I felt like I was home. Also: 5% tax here. Awesome. We'll be in Jasper for the next two nights, after which we head on back to Vancouver.

Due to stupid VIA and its stupid not-ever-sticking-to-schedule we've had to cut both Victoria and Whistler out of our plans. Now, we're out of sorts with our accommodations because we'll be spending an unplanned Sunday night in Vancouver and we have no place to stay. Also: lost our Lonely Planet, so we're really hoping we don't wander into Skid Row by accident.

So: Queen Charlottes. pretty cool. Of our remote locales, I think it ranks under Churchill. Possibly due to the fact that our ferry was docked due to high winds and we ended up missing it (it departed at 11:30 pm instead of 9am; this dominoed into us missing our scheduled 9am ferry and us spending an extra day on the island). Pro: spent the day exploring the island in a rental and picking up agate on a remote beach. Con: never got to go back to Rupert for that beautiful totem pole. I'm sure I'll go back someday, but not anytime so soon. Not like Churchill.

Also: saw a Mama Bear and her cubs today. Made my entire trip.

Also, also: clear blue skies in Jasper. surrounded by about 11 mountain peaks. with elk grazing on the corner. staying in the "blueberry" room. am drunk on Canada. officially.

No comments: