Monday, April 21, 2008

my cup runneth over

Doesn't it figure that the week before I leave for (arguably) the most intense vacation ever, is also the most swamp-worthy at work? Good Lord. Committees that have lain dormant lo these many months have suddenly decided that now - this very instant - is when we should draft proposals and have endless meetings. So not only do I have my normal workload (which isn't that bad), but I'm trying to get things done in advance for three weeks, stay involved in my committees and not work too many extra hours in the process.

Meanwhile, life doesn't pause: I still need to take care of last-minute trip details (QC Island tours, cars from Calgary to Jasper, stuffing 23 days of clothes into one backpack), condo obligations (granite anyone? anyone?), bridesmaid dress fittings for not one but TWO weddings, farewell parties, welcome-back parties... I need to pull a Monkey King and clone myself.

What a stupid idea to vacation less than three months before I move. A horribly stupid idea. I can't wait to be on the train this Saturday. Just so I can sleep.

2 comments:

LH said...

I am flabbergasted that we have not been able to get in contact. I am finding myself pretty sick and tired of academia because its an abyss that stares you straight in the eye before it sucks the very soul out of your body. Bitter much? I think so! Gosh...school is for the patient, and me, well, I'm as patient as a fat kid with cake. Which brings me to my next point (very conveniently)to the Will Smith in your life which shall not be mistaken for the Will Smith in mine (the TV show has got to be better). By the way, for continuity purposes, he's got to wear the hat to the side...my Will Smith does it all the time, but then again, they are two different people. God, I miss a good ramble. I miss you my little librarian flower who practices goodbye lines in her car before going on a date. I myself prefer the bathroom mirror so I can gage the apparent sincerity of my words. Send me a facebook message for your work times. I will try to find my out of this black hole of studying to call my other....not Will Smith, but you...just you.

Malecasta said...

I don't think anyone has ever called me a flower :) Yes, setting myself up for disappointment is what I do best. Why expect anything better and then be heartbroken? Best to encase oneself in jade, methinks.

i miss you too, my lovely. I simply can't wait until you cross the pond and come home.