Sunday, April 20, 2008

Now Playing: The Forbidden Kingdom

What can I say? Jackie Chan, Jet Li and Collin Chou in one movie - there was no way I was going to miss this. I was a little worried - Jackie Chan was getting old (as is Jet Li) and I was hoping it wouldn't be disappointing to watch them go at it... so happy to say it wasn't. There were a tonne of fight scenes and none fo disappointed. In fact, the opening major fight between the Monkey King (Li) and the Jade Warlord (Chou) was so much fun to watch, I almost forgot they were fighting. What I really enjoyed though, was the character of the White Witch (Li Bingbing, playing Ni Chang, though I don't remember her being called that) - her little throwdown with Sparrow at the end was beautiful to watch. She's just so menacing in walk-soft-and-carry-a-heavy-stick kind of way - I want to be her for Halloween. The fact that she's hot and has razor-sharp silver hair didn't hurt.

The script was actually quite funny, with plenty of great one-liners from Chan (though, it's Li's physical comedy that gets the biggest laugh). Even horribly cheesy moments are nicely deflected with a little fourth-wall humour. There is, however, nothing to be done about the corn-fu: the wire-work seemed a bit obvious (more Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - less Matrix in terms of realism); death scenes abound; any villain wearing eyeshadow that isn't Malcolm McDowell loses his scary factor.

Check it out - 3.5 stars out of 5.

No comments: